Sunday 23 August 2009

Project Mahabharata


I
am planning to read the Mahabharat. All of it. You can, too. A complete and unabridged translation of the Sanskrit original is available at http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/index.htm

In addition, I have a copy of Kaliprasanna Singha’s translation in Bengali. I remember seeing it first in my grandfather’s house when I was about 9. It seemed inconceivable that anybody could finish reading even a chapter of that humongous tome, let alone the entirety. My grandfather, it seemed, had done this, proving once again that he was the smartest man in the world, ever.

Now, over two decades later I have a copy of my own. I estimate that if it was written out in the same style as, say, the US hardbound edition of the Harry Potter series, it would be about 5000 pages. Now that’s big, but nowhere near infinite. The HP series itself is a total of about 2500 pages, and children routinely read it all. So, it’s eminently possible to read the entire Mahabharat from start to finish! How cool is that?

So, I’m reading the Mahabharat and I must admit it’s a lot tougher going than Rowling’s work or Tolkien’s, because, boy, this book needed an editor!!!

To begin with there’s an incredible amount of fluff, and descriptions tend to be overly detailed and highly formulaic. If I have to read yet another description of warriors fighting ‘like passionate bull elephants during mating season’, I swear I’m going to throw the book at somebody’s head (and severely sprain a muscle in the process). Every time a deity or rishi or even a minor dignitary enters the scene, be prepared for a mile-long stava (‘oratory of praise’) elevating him all the way to Param-Brahma. And if anybody starts lamenting, especially Draupadi, you might as well head for the hills, or at least skip the next several pages.

Secondly, the narrative is highly nonlinear. There’s no “Once upon a time there were five brothers.....”. The Mahabharata is more like the Arabian nights. People start telling a story, and the characters in the story start telling each other another story, and on it goes. Then, all of a sudden, somebody gets beheaded or something and you're like, "Wait, wait, wait, what?? Which level of the loop was I on???"

Then there’s the whole blasted habit of giving away the ending. Happens all the time in the war chapters. For example, right at the outset of Karnaparva, Sanjay goes, "And so after two days of valiant fighting, the mighty Karna was slain by Arjuna..." . Dhritarashtra promptly faints away in shock, and I'm going, "Damn you, that was supposed to come at the END." Then they revive the old King, and Sanjay goes, "So, as I was saying, after Drona died, Duryodhana made Karna the new senapati...." and so on.
Honestly, those ancients had NO concept of slowly building up the tension to a big climax!!

It makes more sense if you remember that the epic was designed for listening in real time. So, during an endless stava or lamentation sequence, you could let your mind wander or run a small errand. Whereas maybe an ending-giveaway was a way of saying, “Hey, don’t go to the bathroom now. Big action scene coming up!” But for a modern reader, it can be rather frustrating.

So, then why bother, you may ask? Why not just read one of the dozens of abridged versions available in the market?

Well, I already have. In fact, if you can read Bengali, I will highly, highly recommend Upendrakishore Raychaudhuri’s (he was Satyajit Ray’s grandfather) version for children. I knew it as ‘CCheleder Mahabharat’ (Mahabharat for Boys), but apparently its been PC-ly renamed ‘CChotoder Mahabharat” (Mahabharat for Youngsters). The book is a gem – very entertainingly written and very faithful to the original as I am finding.

Part of my motivation is a reality check – one constantly hears that something or the other is ‘written in the Mahabharat’, I want to see if that’s really so.

But what really drives me is the sheer feel of reading the massive old epic. It’s not like reading a novel at all. Apart from the main plotline, the Mahabharat contains tons of other stories. Virtually every ancient Indian story you’ve heard of is present somewhere or the other – ‘Shakuntala-Dushyanta’, ‘Nala-Damayanti’, ‘Kacha-Devayani’, a condensed version of the Ramayan and much, much more. And often in the most unexpected of places – for example, the story of Shiva, Parvati and the birth of Kartika suddenly shows up before the final battle between Bhima and Duryodhana. Add to all this a huge dollop of philosophical discourse, political advice, social directives and whimsical folk tales thrown in almost at random and you have the big, bewildering mishmash that is the Mahabharat. Reading the great epic is a lot like walking the ways of an ancient city – you wander around pondering the well-known sights, and all of a sudden you are in a dingy little alleyway which leads to an exquisite garden, tucked away where you least expect it. It’s an experience you shouldn’t miss.

P.S: If you want to try the Mahabharat project yourself and want some company, some of us have set up a discussion blog at http://groups.google.com/group/mahabharata-discussion
All are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. does the bengali version for kids come in an english translation?

    The stavas kill me too. I learnt sanskrit eons ago and the stavas were super funny when you were the giggling pre-teen and the text was describing some physical attribute of shakuntala etc.

    Maybe when u are done with the project, you can come up with a list of interesting sub-plots of the mahabharat. I like ur idea of not reading the story linearly. Thats much easier to manage that way, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekar and I will embark on that project. We're getting copies of the bengali books to have on hand, right now our copies are sitting at parents' home in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always fathomed Mahabharat as a story which had great fighters with unimaginable capacities. Never did I bother to understand who Bhisma (an euphemism for all such great names ) was nor was I ever interested.. however my recent bit of encouragement to read Mahabharath let me read some texts available with me.. and man I find it so complex to figure out where i am heading towards.. its like the Bhool Bhulaiyas of Lucknow or can be said to be infinite loops that a prog gets trapped and only and End Now can help come out of the loop..
    I press the Alt+Ctrl+Del for the time being and restart the prog !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unabridged version is rather intimidating, especially if you don't know the story in advance.

    I see you've joined our discussion group. We've got a list of abridged editions you might look up just to get the basics of the story.

    Its quite a worthwhile read, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading Mahabharata is not like taking medicine, actually it's a feast of stories.... :) Or, say you are an imaginative person, you may find clues for some research! The weapons they mention in the war may resemble some of the most modern and future ones. Lets draw some light on it. :-p

    ReplyDelete